Reaching Hispanics in the U.S.
Bienvenido – Welcome
Thank you for your interest in reaching Hispanics for Christ! With over 50 million Hispanics in the United States it is vital to be reaching this people group with the gospel. Please look over our STEPS TO TAKE and OUR VISION for reaching this vast mission field here in the U.S.. At BCP it is our desire to provide you with tools to facilitate the ministry of reaching Hispanics and to establish independent Hispanic (bilingual) churches throughout America.
Steps To Take
1. Survey your Community – The type of Hispanics living in an area will determine what type of ministry will be most effective. Are they migrant workers who come and go with every season? Are they mostly first, second, or third generation Hispanics?
2. Understand the Culture – Realize that all Hispanics are not Mexicans. Hispanics range from 22 different categories. Discover their nationality and strive to understand the differences between cultures.
3. Learn some Spanish – Not everyone has an aptitude to learn an entire language, however, ten phrases can go a long way! Their children often know English so they can translate for you. However, Hispanics will be thrilled that you take the time to try to learn their language.
1. Cross Cultural Bridges – Begin crossing the barriers and interacting with the Hispanic community. Note their definitions of time, family, relationships and etiquette. Ask them to teach you how to prepare some of their authentic foods.
2. Offer Materials in Spanish – Distribute tracts, Bibles, literature and CDs in Spanish. Reading and hearing the gospel in their native tongue brings quicker understanding.
3. Offer ESL (English Second Language) Classes – Provide free English classes (complete with free childcare) and this will open many doors to reach Hispanics for Christ.
It is the vision of Baptist Church Planter’s Hispanic Ministries to help churches reach the Hispanic communities around them. We desire to provide the following:
1. Reaching Hispanics Online Magazine – A publication with articles, resources and ideas to better equip pastors and ministries to reach Hispanics. This magazine contains case studies and articles concerning, language, culture and ministry methods. Visit our online magazine at www.reachinghispanics.org.
2. Symposiums – Seminars held throughout the U.S. to provide various resources and workshops on how to begin Spanish ministries.
3. Mission Trips – Mission trips into areas here in the U.S. to introduce pastors and layman to the Hispanic culture and language. This experience would help equip them to begin Spanish ministries in their own home areas.
4. Theological Training in Spanish – Thorough theological training (presently 5 courses) taught in Spanish. This education is offered to train leaders from Spanish churches or those desiring to serve in Spanish ministries. Visit our on-line store to view descriptions of our five courses: Hermeneutics (Hermenéutica), Doctrine I, II and III (Doctrina I, II and III) and the Holy Spirit (El Espíritu Santo). (See sample on the right side panel of this page).
5. Bilingual, Bicultural Missionaries and Pastors – Missionaries who can function in both the American and Hispanic cultures.
Visit our online magazine at www.reachinghispanics.org for resources, links, articles and ideas on ministering to Hispanics.